"For love is strong as death…
Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it…"
– –Song of Solomon 8: 6,7
Whether you’re planning a large or intimate wedding ceremony, we desire to help you make the experience memorable
New Hope UMC Beliefs
“We affirm the sanctity of the marriage covenant which is expressed in love, mutual support, personal
commitment, and shared fidelity between a man and a woman. We believe that God’s blessing rests upon such
marriage, whether or not there are children of the union. We reject social norms that assume different standards for
women than for men in marriage.” – –From the United Methodist Church Book of Discipline (Part III, Paragraph 71-C)
Advance reservations for New Hope UMC’s Sanctuary, Fellowship Hall, rehearsal time, etc. are a must! Contact the church
Secretary at 252–264–3999 or by email to discuss space and
clergy availability as well as other important arrangements.
Weddings are not scheduled on: Sunday; Thanksgiving Day; Christmas Eve; Christmas Day; New Year’s Eve or
Day; Ash Wednesday; Good Friday; Memorial Day; July 4th; Labor Day; or any day or evening that would
conflict with church events already scheduled in any New Hope church facility.
New Hope UMC Wedding Policy
The bride and groom are responsible for maintenance of the rules and policies under which the church may be used.
The bride and groom are also required to convey all applicable rules and policies to all persons participating in the
wedding, their florist, photographer, videographer, caterer, and any other individual or organization retained to
participate in the ceremony. Rules for these individuals/firms are included in the Wedding Policy.
We sincerely believe these policies to be the most suitable and practical for all concerned.
The security deposit will be either partially or totally forfeited for either
- No alcoholic beverages of any kind or illegal drugs are allowed in the facilities of New Hope UMC or on the premises.
- Any individual who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs will not be allowed to participate in the rehearsal or wedding.
- No smoking or use of any tobacco products inside any of the church facilities.
- No decorations may be tacked, glued, taped, stapled, pinned, clamped, or wired to the walls, doors, ceilings, floors, woodwork, or furniture of any church facility. Do not use any glitter.
- Use clips or wrap-around material to attach bows or flowers to pews.
- You are not permitted to unplug anything, such as the organ, or remove any of the existing furnishings.
- No furniture or furnishings of any type except tables and chairs in the Fellowship Hall may be moved.
- Food and beverages are allowed only in the Fellowship Hall.
- Do not leave vehicles in the parking lot overnight.
- Rice, confetti, potpourri, or streamers many not be thrown on church property either inside or outside the facility.
- Releasing balloons or birds is not permitted.
- New Hope United Methodist Church will not be responsible for personal injury, loss or damage of personal property sustained during the rehearsal, wedding, or reception.
- New Hope United Methodist Church will not be held responsible for damage or loss of any individuals/firms property.
of the following reasons:
— Improper cleaning of the facility before leaving the premises.
— Damage and/or excessive wear of the facility, its furnishings or fixtures.
There are certain legal requirements that you must meet in order to be married at NHUMC:
Pastor's Message to the Bride & Groom
- In the State of North Carolina, you must apply for a marriage license at the NC county clerk (Register of
Deeds) office where you plan to be married. Your license will expire 60 days from the date it is issued.
- You must bring your marriage license to the minister or to the church office at least forty-eight (48)
hours before the wedding.
- The pastor will not be able to perform your wedding ceremony unless he/she has a valid North Carolina
marriage license in his or her possession. The license must be signed the day of the wedding.
Congratulations on your decision to be married and to seek the blessing of a Christian ceremony in New Hope United Methodist
Church. We are pleased to be able to offer our support and ministry to you at this very important and memorable time in your
Right now, your most immediate concerns are probably around the details of your wedding day. We wish to support you in your
planning for that special day. Whether simple or elaborate, your wedding service should have a particular meaning for you.
It should be more than just a ceremony, because it points to the many facets of marriage. Your wedding assumes that you have
explored those areas thoroughly and have chosen to enter marriage as an expression of your self-understandings and your love
for each other, in the context of God’s love for you.